Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Band Info - The Agents/Blues Garden/Hotfoot/Natch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Local Band Info - The Agents/Blues Garden/Hotfoot/Natch Reply with quote

(got this informative email from Rick Moors about local KC bands)

Quote:

The Agents were formed by guitarist/singer Steve Olivero and the original lineup was Steve, myself on guitar, Dan Libby on bass, George Clark on keys and John Greaves on drums.

A few later members of the Blues Garden (early 70's) were Rob Whitsitt on guitar/vox, Dan Conde on drums, Steve Smith on bass and Jack Manahan on Hammond B3.

Hotfoot was formed by former Sanctuary keyboardist Eric Bikales, and the original lineup was Eric, Steve Werner on guitar/vox, Stan Kessler, trumpet, R.G. DaCunha drums, Cindy Fee on vocals and Greg Whitfield on bass. I later replaced Greg on bass. Later versions included Doug Gunn on drums, Michael Murphy on keys/vox and Charles Button on bass.

Another great K.C. band I worked with was Natch ('73-76?) - Formed by Brewer and Shipley guitarist Larry Knight, included Jimmy Harlow on keys/vox, Barry Wisdom on drums, Mike Tempo on percussion, Laurie Knight on vox and me on bass.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Chontels, Classmen, White Eyes, Justus Reply with quote

Quote:
I remembered a few more.

Early Chontels (64-65) also included Bob Elliott on drums, Mike Davidson on Hammond B3, Spider Moll on sax, as well as Bobby Goodwin on lead vox, Wes Haynes, bass and vox and me, guitar and vox. Mike Davidson in K.C. has a bunch of great early pics from those days, but I have lost his contact info. Bill Lee of the K.C. musicians website and Kansas Hall of Fame may have a bunch of those shots also, I'll give him your email addy if you don't mind.

Other Classmen, besides Doug and Drew Dimmel and their wives Liz and Jane, were Eric Bikales, keys and flute, Pat Pearce, keys, and me on guitar and bass. There were many other sidemen in this group, but I only played with these.

White Eyes, based in K.C. featured members of Brewer and Shipleys back up band and later K.C. icons Greg Camp and Jimmy Harlow. I worked with most of them in other bands later, but never with this band, members included Larry Knight, guitar and vox, Butch Dillon, drums, Kathy Helmick, vox, Roger Workman, pedal steel guitar, Gary Signor, drums and Steve Baker, bass. Great band with killer vocals.

I see you've got my pals Justus listed. I never played with them but can give you the personnel list if you don't have it. Mark Hart, keys, vox, Gary Heatwole, bass, vox, Mark Leggett, guitar, vox, Bill Bergman, sax, Doug Auwarter, drums. Great, funky band, similar to Hotfoot.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Bartok's Mountain, The K.C. Blues Band, Colt .45, Justus Reply with quote

more from Rick:

Quote:
Bartok's Mountain Personnel:
Steve Werner - guitar, vox (Steve ended up as lead singer/guitarist for Hootfoot)
Larry Sands, acc guit, vox
Danny Noger, bass
Bob Herzog, drums, vocals (Bob ended up as lead vocalist/guitarist for The Blue Riddim Band)
Greg Whitfield, bass (still, maybe K.C.'s busiest bass player)

You have The K.C. Blues Band listed. I believe this is what the old mainstay group, Colt .45 morphed into due to legal action on the name. They were around K.C. constantly for 10 years or more in the 70's-80's.

Colt .45 Personnel:
Mike O'Neil, drums, leader
Tom Bark, bass, vox
Kent Raine, keys, vox
Rick Hendricks, guitar, vox
Larry Van Loon B3 organ, vox
Rick Moors, bass

Addition to Billy Spears' band:
Janet Jameson, violin, vox (a K.C. mainstay, see Shooting Star, Morningstar)

Also, the photo you have listed under "Justus" is not them, perhaps it was of the other band "Justice?" You did have a pic of Justus up earlier, a larger band with congas, etc. That's the guys whose names you added. They are from K.C., not Topeka.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: