Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olathe - Trail Theatre, Twin Theatre, King Radio, 711, Hospi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> General Amusements in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Olathe - Trail Theatre, Twin Theatre, King Radio, 711, Hospi Reply with quote

(This was sent to me by a subscriber.)

Wow... A lot of Olathe & KC memories... Some
thoughts/additions/corrections...

http://oldkc.com/cgi-bin/viewer/oldkc_viewer.pl?olathe_twindriveinsign_1982

The marquee cuts off, but appears to be an add for the weekend swap meet that used to be out there. It wasn't as large as some of the other swap meets around KC (Heart Drive In seems to come to mind, oh wait you got pics or them too). I think most weekends you could walk the Twin's in about 15 minutes.

It's great seeing all the King Radio stuff... One of their VPs, Jim Stoddard, was a neighbor in our cul-de-sac until they moved way far out on the west side around '83-'84.

Around 1984 or 85 the Trail was turned into a youth hangout. I forget the name of it... Never went. I think by this time Huckleberry (was a mayor or former mayor, his daughter Lisa was in my grade) owned the property.

I want to say that 7-11 is at Clairborne and Haven, by Havencroft... It's where most of my baseball cards came from, and I played a lot of pinball, Centipede, Berserk, Mr. Do, and other games there as well. The roof facade certainly matches, so unless there was another one somewhere on the west side, that's probably it.

The hospital shot is the old hospital. Sometime after '85 they replaced it
with a new one on the SW side of town.

I think the FAA ARTCC pic has to be WAY before 1970. There's no sign of Clairborne extending south along the treeline behind the facility, and no hospital adjacent on the south side. Town Square shopping mall (Milgrims-later Westlake Ace, Godfather's Pizza, Sears Outlet) would be behind it as well on the left side. Admittedly, I didn't get there until Fall 1976, but we lived in Sedalia (moved before the tornado of 5/4/77, of course Olathe was hit the same day) and used to come in on 150 and eat at Dennys before heading down 35 to my grandparent's in Oklahoma, and I'm pretty sure there was more development there in the early 70s.

After all these years I still have the Standard Improvement Company jingle in my head. I just googled it and now it'll be stuck in my head for all
eternity... http://www.standardimprovement.com/

What a great site...
mfosterftw

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DT... here's some answers on the hospital.

http://www.ohsi.com/about/history/timeline.php

1968 - Expanded to 100 beds, Olathe Community Hospital relocated to 300 South Rogers Road.

So we know the FAA's ARTCC pic is from at least before 1968.

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> General Amusements in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: