Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immortal until the wrecking ball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Schools in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Immortal until the wrecking ball Reply with quote

Most schools keep an informal accounting of track and field records. It may be a tote board in the gym, but local superlatives gave a certain measure of immortality to the boy or girl who jumped the longest, ran the fastest, or threw an object the farthest.

Field day records may have been logged as well. Record holders in the water-balloon toss or the three legged race may have also been regaled with a notation in a trophy case, or a plaque in dusty corner of the cafeteria.

What happens when a school closes? What happens to the little achievements? I work near where a closed elementary school was bulldozed to make way for an office building recently. Big yellow earth movers took the ranch-style building apart, pulling down walls, scooping rebar, concrete, and metal into dumptrucks. One day during the demolition, I saw into the multi-purpose room. A wall had been cleared and it revealed the list of local record holders still attached to an interior support. A listing of immortals on their last day alive. I wish I had a camera.
spaceghost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: closed schools Reply with quote

I have often wondered what happened to the records that were kept at my Elementary school...Valley View Elementary. I have called USD512 but get the run-around. If anyone has a pics from back then I'd sure love to see them. I attended that school from 1962 to 1967 and remember the pricipal..Bill Dowden..very well. I also remember the tornado that hit Katherine Carpenter Elementary (2 miles west) and nearly hit US. It remains the only tornado I've ever seen.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Records are meant to be broken or auctioned off on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Schools in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: