Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Princemen - Local Band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: The Princemen - Local Band Reply with quote

Added pictures of The Princemen and The New Princemen.

Link below:

http://oldkc.com/kcbands_bands_vintage.htm

Last edited by dt on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don,

I was the bass player in the Princemen and those pictures remind me of our early beginnings.

When we first started there were 3 of us. Myself, Steve Braton, and Danny Gray.

Our first gig was at the Walnut festival in Stockton and we had 3 songs! It was a showcase of talent with one winner as judges by the attendees.

We were really cool! Black banlons, tight pants, and pointed Beatle boots!

There were several singers and bands on the ticket and at the end of the day, we were beaten out by a litle girl that sang, "Little Brown Jug!"

What a let down!

Our next gig, we now had 10 songs, was at a private party. The father gave us a check for 2 hours work and when we went to the bank it bounced!

More later...

chuck
Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Thanks for the post. Would love to hear more stories about the band and the local scene, including venues and competing bands.

Best,

DT
Chuck Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don,

Yeah I've got plenty more! I just don't have time right now but here's another quickie!

When we expanded the band to 6 pieces we were booked into a club that we had never heard of. After we got set up we went home for a few hours before the show. When we came back we really ramped up and ready to go but noticed that there were no women in the audience, just a bunch of guys.

Turns out our agent, Irv Goldman, had booked us into a gay club! Yikes, after one set we packed our stuff and headed out!

More later,

chuck
Chuck Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our day the top bands were, us, Mac Truck, Classmen, Fabulous Flippers, Spider and the Crabs, and Spanky and the Upsetters.

All were horn bands except for the Classmen.

There were a lot of really good bands though and we all had our fair share of followers.

We played at all of the hot spots, Band Stand on 40 hiway, Red Dog Saloon, Scoots Scadaro's place - the Inferno, all of the high schools and colleges and traveled a lot back then.

The name changed over the years as bands broke up and moved on. I remember we use to go hang out at the jazz clubs and listen to Charlie Mingus, Marilyn May, Dizzy Gillespie and many more.

Marilyn's daughter Christie even sang with us for awhile.

I haven't seen any of the old musicians for many years, since I quit playing all together, except for our old sax player Jim Andrews. The last time I saw him he was playing at the Grand Hotel in Daphne Alabama. Older, grayer but unmistakingly Andrews!

In the summers we traveled all around the country playing juke joints in the South and high end hotels in the east. Some were like scenes from that old Blue Brothers movie, others were way to stuffy, and some were just right!

I think our agent sometimes would take a dart and throw it at the map and where it hit that where he booked us! Never a hop skip and jump to the next gig, always a road killer!

chuck
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do all covers or were you allowed to add a small percentage of originals to your set list? Any recordings? Was the local scene vibrant then? Full houses, people dancing etc?
Chuck Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dt wrote:
Did you do all covers or were you allowed to add a small percentage of originals to your set list? Any recordings? Was the local scene vibrant then? Full houses, people dancing etc?

We did a lot of covers but had a few of our own. We opened for Buddy Miles Express, Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders, and 3 Dog Night opened for US at the Iowa state fair in Ames!

At these venues we did our stuff, but when we were playing at other gigs, the owners wanted us to play covers...so we did. That kept us working when others didn't!

We made one record - a cover of Harlem Shuffle - but never pushed it - we GAVE them away to draw bigger crowds and yes they were full houses and everyone danced their butts off! - The more they danced, the more they drank. The more they drank the happier the club owner was!
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out for that record, though I think Harlem Shuffle was a popular cover to record then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: