Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Satellites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: The Satellites Reply with quote

Posted a couple of wonderful shots of The Satellites from the late 1960s. Here are notes from Curt Finke, organist for the band:

First Picture

The band's name is "The Satellites," formed in 1964, disbanded in 1969. Unfortunately, in this photo, the drummer is hidden behind the horn players.

Location: I don't recall the exact location, but it was within the Northeast district of Kansas City. I'm remembering the name of the venue as "Rick West's Teen Club." However, there is a reference to it on Rick West's current website* calling it "Rick's Rock n' Roll Club." The building which housed the club was (I was told) originally a movie theater. All of the seats had been removed, leaving a bare concrete floor that sloped down toward the stage, but then leveled out several feet in front of the stage--which was the dance area.

* http://rickwestshow.com/about_rickwest.htm

Second Picture

Another photo of The Satellites, performing at the Jewish Community Center. I don't recall where it was (is?) located, other than somewhere in south KC... possibly close to, or south of the Plaza???

The band members names are:

front row:

Jim Brown, on bass guitar, back-up vocals
Richard Sailsbury, lead guitar, lead singer, leader of the band
Lee Bruger (spelling???) trumpet and slide trombone
Bill Smith, trumpet

back row:

Dennis Moore, drums
Curtis Finke (me) on organ and occasionally guitar, back-up vocals

One funny note... we played at this venue two or three different times. On our final appearance... on the final note of the final song of the evening, Richard raised his guitar up to signal to the other band members "final big finish note" and the head of his guitar smashed one of those white light shades, shattering it, raining down onto Rich. He was not injured, but we all had to try to keep from laughing our asses off, because some of the older folks associated with the Community Center weren't too pleased.

One other thing: Richard Sailsbury (stage name is now Rich Berry) is still performing in the KC area and elsewhere, solo, doing mainly Delta inspired acoustic blues. http://www.richberryblues.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Music in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: