Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Area Grocery Stores
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Businesses in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Area Grocery Stores Reply with quote

I remember these grocery franchises in Kansas City. I grew up here in the 70s:
A&P
Balls
IGA
Kroger
Mission Highlands
Safeway
Thriftway
United Super

Later, these franchises popped up:
Apple Market
Checkers
Dahl's
Dillon's
Food Barn
Hy-Vee
Price Chopper
Sun Fresh

What was the name of the grocery down on the plaza?

What was the name of the supermarket at 63rd (Shawnee Mission Parkway) and Neiman? Van's? Big Star?
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy all of my football cards at Thriftway and Safeway.

A contributor told me once that there was a grocery store in the Ward Parkway Shopping Center in it's early days. Can anyone confirm that?
FJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Supermarket in Ward Parkway Reply with quote

I remember the supermarket at Ward Parkway shopping center. It was on the east side, lower level, kind of where TGIFriday's is/was. The last time I recall shopping there was around 1977. I don't remember if it was a Safeway or Milgram's or what.

I also recall an appearance by Hop Sing at the Roeland Park Thriftway in the early 70s. I didn't actually see him there. I remember a placard advertising his appearance, and then I saw a news blurb about his appearance after the fact, such was the popularity that Bonanza still carried, even toward the end of its television run.
FJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Two More Reply with quote

Two more franchises for the list of come-latelys. Schnuck's and Hen House.

The Fairway Hen House was Knese's Thriftway for many years, and I think a Safeway before that. My mom shopped there regularly. That was the first place I remember seeing cow tongue for sale in the meat department. Not a favorite.

I remember in 4th grade going there because Wonder Bread offered a special edition of Wacky Packages; one sticker per loaf. I bought a lot of bread that year. They should have put the wacky stickers in the cow tongue. Brilliant!

I shopped at the Schnuck's at 91st and Metcalf for awhile when I lived nearby in the early 90s. Nice store and I enjoyed the novelty of the carts with the LCD consoles, but I gave up after a bad checkout experience. It was one of those deals where there was one lane open during a slow time and suddenly about 15 customers lined up to check out at the same time. I was number 15. The manager behind the service desk stared off into space as people fumed. He never did get another checker to open a lane. What a dope. I quit shopping there after that and I'm pretty sure that's why they folded here in Kansas City. Wink
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Bonanza and Grocery Stores Reply with quote

Quote:
I also recall an appearance by Hop Sing at the Roeland Park Thriftway in the early 70s.

There's an early Simpsons episode that features "the 2 remaining cast members of Bonanza" appearing at a Mall.

At the Springfield Mall, a crowd (including the family), is gathered
to watch "Memories of Bonanza, The Mall Show", presented by Nostalgia
Licensing Corporation.

The theme music to "Bonanza" begins as a fire spreads, and burns a
hole through the stage curtain which looks like a map (reminiscent of
the "Bonanza" theme song). A man walks on stage and extinguishes the
fire as two shirtless native Indians walk through the hole in the
curtain on stage. The audience applauds.

Indian #1: Thank you. I just wish Ben and Hoss and Little Joe and Hop
Sing and Sheriff Roy and all your favorites could be alive
today to see this wonderful turnout.
Indian #2: You know, on the series, we were always trying to kill the
Cartwrights.
[audience boos]
But it looks like Father Time took care of that for us,
right? [pause] Am I right, folks?
[the audience doesn't respond, so the two Indians motion for
the theme song to play again, which they dance to]
Bart: Oh, this sucks.
Marge: Weren't there three Indians last year?

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F03.html
ornurse362

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Area Grocery Stores Reply with quote

This may be false memory syndrome, but "Muelhbach's" seems to ring a bell WRT being on the Plaze.

[quote="FJ"]I remember these grocery franchises in Kansas City. I grew up here in the 70s:

(snip)

What was the name of the grocery down on the plaza?

(snip)
ornurse362

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Supermarket in Ward Parkway Reply with quote

As I recall, at one time there were two grocery stores at the Ward Parkway SHopping Center. The one where TGIF is/was was originally a Krogers.

On the south end of the mall was Wolferman's, with an attached restaurant.

Anyway, that's the way I remenber it.

[quote="FJ"]I remember the supermarket at Ward Parkway shopping center. It was on the east side, lower level, kind of where TGIFriday's is/was. The last time I recall shopping there was around 1977. I don't remember if it was a Safeway or Milgram's or what.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post and the info! I have pictures of the Wolferman's up on the site.
apr27sp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Two More Reply with quote

FJ wrote:

I shopped at the Schnuck's at 91st and Metcalf for awhile when I lived nearby in the early 90s. Nice store and I enjoyed the novelty of the carts with the LCD consoles, but I gave up after a bad checkout experience. It was one of those deals where there was one lane open during a slow time and suddenly about 15 customers lined up to check out at the same time. I was number 15. The manager behind the service desk stared off into space as people fumed. He never did get another checker to open a lane. What a dope. I quit shopping there after that and I'm pretty sure that's why they folded here in Kansas City. Wink

It seems like any St. Louis chain fails here.
Wimpy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Prospect Avenue Businesses Reply with quote

Does anyone remember businesses along Prospect Avenue between Gregory and 75th Street from the 1950's/1960's? There were several grocery stores including (I think) a Thriftway in the 7100 block (east side) and almost across the street a Kroger's which I think later turned into a Velvet Freeze ice cream. There was a Safeway at 74th where I worked in 1960. There were numerous other businesses including the Sun Theater, a hobby shop, a hardware store, etc. Does anyone have a list?
Wimpy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Hen House Reply with quote

Quote:
Two more franchises for the list of come-latelys. Schnuck's and Hen House.

I believe the Hen House was not a latecomer. If memory serves me, the original Hen House at 83rd and Wornall was there for years and was kind of a barnlike place with a specialty in poultry.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Hen House on Wornall Reply with quote

Wimpy,

I took a quick look through my old phonebooks and Hen House was on Wornall since at least 1960.

Welcome to the site, by the way.

DT
ornurse362

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Hen House Reply with quote

Quote:
Wimpy,

I took a quick look through my old phonebooks and Hen House was on Wornall since at least 1960.

Welcome to the site, by the way.

DT

FWIW, we moved to the Waldo area early in 1961. Before that, we lived in Mission. I recall going to the Hen House with my mom in the mid-late 50s to buy chicken wngs.

The old store reeked; the newer store was marginally better.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the new store reeked too!

I'll check some of my '50s phonebooks.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest KC phonebook I have is 1951 and it appears as Hen House Poultry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Businesses in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: